My last personal post(which seems ages back!) was on arranged marriages in India! This post is in continuation of the last post…
Most Tamilian weddings shown in movies show the “boy to be” “seeing” the “girl to be” at the girl’s house and deciding whether they are in fact “made for each other”!! 🙂 The “boy” and his family eat sweets and savouries and talk and decide the relationship for life! 🙂
It should be noted that even in this day of digital relationships, a lot of marriages occur only via word of mouth. We in our families have a novel way of having an arranged marriage! (no, we don’t have much say in who we are getting married to!! 🙂 ) – but before the “seeing”, a lot background match making occurs.
- First, the “match fixing” occurs. X who is connected to Y might fix an alliance for Z who is A’s cousin!! 🙂 ‘
- Once it is made sure that the boy and girl are indeed made for each other by each other’s families, pictures are exchanged, horoscopes are matched and the pair is made sure that they are indeed the perfect celestial pair! 🙂
- Finally, after a lot of talk the boy and girl are allowed to “see” each other. The girl will be shown to the “boy” – not in anybody’s house….but at a public place, like an “exhibition”(“a carnival” , for my Western guests!) The “girl” is not supposed to be knowing that she is in fact being “shown” to the boy and his family(but in all probabilities, she will be knowing, considering that she is in fact all dressed up!) (There is actually a time of year in my hometown when eligible parents of boys scout the “exhibition”for girls who might be dressed up! 🙂 )
- Once the “boy” is satisfied with the “girl”, the girl is also given the go-ahead to see the “boy”and the relationship is given a “green”flag to move ahead.
- Phone calls begin and the date of engagement and marriage is fixed and all is bliss! 🙂