- You know the headlines that scream 1.54 crores for an IITian? Well, that is a reality for only a miniscule number of IITians and it is an international offer and definitely not all get it. The average IITians salary range is 11 lakhs per annum which is still 140% higher than other engineering colleges in India…(Source: https://qz.com/india/1329635/grads-of-top-iits-and-iims-earn-over-twice-more-than-their-peers/)
- Those IIT kids are brain boxes – that is a reality that can never be a myth! In a school environment there are always kids from different academic calibre – but here there is only one calibre – the best of best! (now, there will be brainy and smart kids elsewhere in other colleges too – but they may not all be together like this)
- Did you know that the IITs offer financial assistance by offering amazing scholarships to the absolutely needy students? This is one way of uplifting India’s needy and enabling them to reach the upper strata of society. If the income of parents is below 1 lakh/year, then the students will be eligible for complete fee waiver!! Yes, you read that right – there is absolutely no fees at all!! 🙂 In addition, if the income of parents is between 1 lakh and 5 lakh/per year, then those students have to pay only 2/3 of the tuition fees. In addition there are many other waivers for SC/ST and PH(physically handicapped) students. Isn’t it amazing to hear about all these fee waivers and the ways to uplift the economically challenged sections of the society? 🙂
- Rote learning – India’s hyped system of education in many movies ceases to exist in the IITs(that ceases to exist even after 11th grade) You are constantly bombarded with a lot of assignments and now you have to think, analyze and crack the assignments with a lot of time management!
- Competitiveness is extremely high. Nobody is going to be sharing assignments, notes and helping you with all your doubts in all probabilities! 🙂
- Many IITs have young faculty who are in their 30s!! (Young India, problem!! :)) For example, in IIT Dharwad, the average faculty age is only 33.9 years!! (Source: https://timesofindia.indiatimes.com/city/bengaluru/younger-teachers-replace-grey-haired-professors-at-iits-iims/articleshow/70986008.cms) What does this mean for the students? Students and Professors are at par and there is always an influx of fresh and brand new ideas!!
- Mental health is always on the forefront and counselors regularly conduct sessions in the IITs if any student needs them.
These are some of the myths and realities after my son’s first semester at IIT…I am sure there will be plenty more for me to blog about in the coming months! 🙂
Note: If you would like to read about our IIT journey and other posts, start with this post followed by these:
Hope you learnt something new from all these posts and have a delightful day!! 🙂