Maybe the most difficult thing for many of us is to say ‘No’ to things we are not comfortable with. This includes saying ‘No’ to family members, friends and colleagues and at work. When I was younger, I could never say ‘No’ to anybody! 🙂 Sometimes, I used to feel that I was getting arm twisted!! 😦 and made to do things against my will! I am sure everybody might have been involved in one or two(or many situations like this! :))
How do we say ‘No’ in the most gentle manner without offending the other person? here are a few things I have learnt over the years:
- Time is the most important factor here. We get more confidence to say ‘No’ once we get older 🙂 These days , I can say “No” in any personal or professional relationships and wherever I am not comfortable!! 🙂
- Seriously though, I think it is not wise to say a straight “No” in the beginning of your career
- Later, in the career with enough experience you can judge and gauge the situation and work accordingly
- Personal relationships are a whole other matter – it is very difficult to say ‘No’ if you are young and to your parents especially! 🙂 If you are instructed to meet somebody or call somebody, you may have to do it for sometime but you can always tell politely that you cannot do it ….slowly! 🙂 after you gather some strength and maturity!! 🙂 🙂
- Other family members might follow a similar trajectory – it is good to say ‘yes’ for sometime, but after a while as you get older, you can say ‘No’ to things you are uncomfortable about.
- The best way to say ‘No’ is saying calmly that you cannot do it or if the person cannot handle a “No” you can always say you will do it later!! 🙂
How do you say “No”? 🙂 has it been difficult ? But trust me, once you get older, you will not care about anybody and say a “No” very easily!! 🙂 🙂
This is the last post for the BlogchatterHalfMarathon !!